At the start of the project I experimented with a range of techniques by artists such as Greg Sand that weaves photographs, Amy Friend that puts pin holes in photographs, William Hatch Crosby who paints onto photographs, Stephen J Shanabrook that scrunches up images, Stacey Page who stitches into photographs, Rebecca Chew who creates 3D sculptures out of photographs, and Quentin Jones who collages on photographs.
The artist that I liked the most was Amy Friend, I like the way something as simple as pin holes can create a different way you view the photograph. The pin holes highlight certain areas to become the focus point.
After I developed my film I printed each image. I experimented with press printing, vignetting and highlighting areas. I wanted to take my experimentation further so I experimented with solarisation. Solarisation is one of my favorite experiments as it give the image a weird effect and you get a different outcome each time depending on the timings of exposure. Bleaching photographs is also another experiment I really enjoyed doing because it is a fun task which results in colourful distorted images. I want to experiment with this further in upcoming projects. As well as darkroom experiments I used Photoshop to edit digital images as well Following with the same experiments I did toning prints, vignetting and solarisation of prints in Photoshop. I prefer the hands on tasks rather than on Photoshop as it gives you a chance to alter the way it looks and you can create different outcomes each time. by experimenting with different techniques it has allowed me to see what I am best at and what would work and contribute to in my final outcome.
Combination printing was one of the experiments I took forward to my final outcome. Combination printing is the technique of using two or more photographic images in conjunction with one another to create a single image. This was inspired by Paul Butler who cuts out figures in street photography and sometimes layers behind an image of the same location. I kept my combination printing quite simple by cutting out rectangles and exposing different images in each one but I think this still worked effectively as you can see the links between the photographs when they are put together. I experimented with trying to solarise one part of the image. It was successful but areas of the outside image did not develop, this was because glue from the duct tape I used remained in those areas. However I think it adds to the effect of the overall image giving it a dream like feel as it looks like clouds.
Instead of my final outcome just being a mounted sheet I wanted to present it in a different way but keep it simple. At the top of a piece of chipboard I cut out a silhouette out Dulwich College, I kept the chipboard the brown colour that it was rather than my original idea of painting it black because the colour of it can resemble architecture. I chose prints that work well as a collection and arranged them in an order that suited the size of the board. I was going to make four boards of prints and attached them together in a try-fold way but due to time and how long it took me to cut the first board I decided to only do two. I think it works better with two because if there was too many it may have drawn the attraction away from the prints. I think I could have improved my final outcome by possibly considering different ways to present my prints and to have more than one idea that I could have developed further. With the idea that I carried forward I could have improved it by making the cutting of the top neater and thinking of different ways to arrange my prints and make the combinations of prints more complex rather than rectangles.
Overall I found the project enjoyable because of the range of experiments that I tried. Some of the techniques and experiments I have already done before in previous projects but by revisiting the experiments it gave me a chance to improve my skills. The new experiments that I tried such as bleaching, handmade negatives and combination printing I really enjoyed doing as I got to try new things and if I use them in future projects then I can improve the way I did them. For the next project I want to take forward some of the experiments that I have tried and possibly the way I presented my final outcome. For the personal project I want to change my theme to something that I would enjoy more because for this project I limited myself by only taking photographs of building that weren't modern.