Tuesday 18 September 2012

Dan Mountford

Dan Mountford
Val / Royal Pavilion


Dan Mountford is an English Graphic design student. He works in photography, illustration, editorial and motion design. He experiments with in-camera double exposures. This particular 
photograph is called Val / Royal Pavilion, it is a double exposure photograph of a girl called val and the royal pavilion in Brighton, it was taken in October 2010. This photograph was presented in an exhibition along with his other double exposure photographs he has produced. I have chosen this photograph as I am keen to experiment with multiple exposure as I have never tried it before, it looks quite simple but for a beginner it might take me some time to work out. My first reaction to the photograph was that I was amazed by it as I haven't done multiple exposure before. I like that he has combined two different elements into one photograph. It will improve my knowledge of photography and learning new techniques. I like how he has captured the facial features and the building without distorting either image. Multiple exposure is a photographic technique that combines 2 different images into a single image.
I looked at his website and his Flickr page to increase my understanding of the work he produces. http://www.flickr.com/photos/danmountford/sets/72157625371295037/
http://www.danmountford.bigcartel.com/
I like that he's used a person and a landscape or building as I think there is a meaning behind the choice of subject matter. The place could be linked to the person such as an area where she has grown up, somewhere she wishes to go or somewhere meaningful to her. I would associate Dan Mountford's double exposure work as portraiture as it is mainly of people, although he also does some landscapes. 
Dan Mountford describes it as a visual journey through our minds by calm and tidy meaning which the reality of everyday life does not show. This photograph was captured simply by using a camera without the assistance of Photoshop or editing techniques. He only used Photoshop to adjust the tone and remove imperfections from the image. I think that the black and white photography makes it a much more powerful image rather than it being in colour. 



No comments:

Post a Comment